Well to tell you a little about this “Garbage Plate” When I first moved out here to Rochester, yes things were very different. The food alone was something that was very different then my Jersey lifestyle. Well I came across this dish they call the “Garbage Plate” Mind you it is quite simple to do but the sauce, the sauce was the key essential to making this dish what it is. I looked at this and said “there is no way I am eating this” but when I finally tried it, well….. it is something that will now be a part of my eating regimen. I have tried to duplicate the “Hot Sauce” they call it out here and well here it is, I hope you enjoy my version!
- Either 2 hot dogs or 2 hamburgers per a plate
- A half of a plate of French fries or home fries ( you can take whole potatoes and cut them into either little cubes for home fries or strips for fries. Take them and fry them up in some oil and there you have it.) or frozen would do fine as well 🙁
- Macaroni Salad about 1/4 of your plate full (I will soon have my recipe for homemade salad)
- Baked Beans 1/4 of a plate full ( I will have my bean recipe soon) can will do for this.
The Hot Sauce: see below
- 2 lbs of 80/20 ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper (seeds out)
- 1 habanero pepper (seeds out)
- 1 poblano pepper (seeds out)
- 1 cubanero pepper (seeds out)
- 3 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 packets of Sazon
- 1 bottle of beer
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
Start with the hot sauce, Take the peppers and the onion and put it into a food processor or blender to make it fine. Take the mixture and put it into a pan and heat on medium to let some of the water cook out. Take all the seasoning and put it in with the mixture. Cook for about 5 minutes, add half the bottle of beer. Add the ground beef in and make sure to work it into the mixture, add the rest of the beer and the tomato sauce. Stir and add the rest of ingredients. This is a slow process so let cook on low for about 35- 40 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. The consistency should be very fine. This is your hot sauce.
Cook up the burgers, Home Fries and the baked beans and have your macaroni salad as well ready to go.
On a plate first fill half the plate with home fries, the remainder of the plate should be the baked beans and mac salad. You then place either 2 hamburgers or 2 hot dogs or one of each on top of this. The last step is to put the hot sauce all over the top. Some people then add onions on top if desired. This is no recipe for someone watching their calories that’s for sure, but once in a while… well GOFOR IT!
You will have hot sauce left over depending how many plates you are actually making, this would serve 3-4 plates. The sauce can be frozen for a later date. Try the sauce on eggs as well. Enjoy!